The ECHAM-HAMMOZ model has been tested, tuned, and carefully evaluated for a limited number of configurations and parameter settings (see Release default settings. While the results are by no means perfect, we claim that ECHAM-HAMMOZ represents the state-of-the-art in tropospheric aerosol and chemistry modeling.
There is no guarantee that the model will produce 'reasonable' results when the configuration, the namelist parameters, or the model code is altered.
We strongly urge users to contact the ECHAM-HAMMOZ developers when you are planning to perform large sets of model simulations and want to change the configuration or parameters of the model.
Furthermore, we refer to the ECHAM-HAMMOZ licence agreement for a disclaimer of legal responsibility and liability resulting from the use of the ECHAM-HAMMOZ model.
- ECHAM6.1 → ECHAM6.3, see #215, #491
- PSRad radiation scheme
- Updated JSBACH
- Energy conservation bug fixes
- Cloud blinking solved
- Inclusion of age of air tracer
- HAM2.2 → HAM2.3
- Cirrus ICNC bugfix, see #477
- Abdul-Razzak&Ghan activation scheme, see #184
- New sticking efficiency for accretion of ice crystals by snow, see #471
- Regional dust emissions, see #433
- New sea salt scheme by Long et al 2011, see #547
- Koehler-kappa water uptake correction see #260, #356
- SALSA completely implemented, see #374
- MOZ0.9 -> MOZ1.0, see #385
- New implementation of MEGAN module see #243, #404
- Optional simplified chemical mechanism, the GEOMAR Atmospheric Mechanism (GAM001), see #514, #515
- Modularization of two-moment cloud microphysics, see #214
- Energy conservation of two-moment cloud microphysics
- New emission datasets (ACCMIP/MACCITY, GFAS, CEDS) part of the v0002 input file distribution
- New default settings, run templates, run organisation
For a detailed list of changes since echam6.1.0-ham2.2-moz0.9, please see version:"echam-hammoz (echam6.3.0-ham2.3-moz1.0)" and also version:"echam-hammoz (echam6.3.0-ham2.3-moz1.0_rc1)"
Model description and reference publications¶
The description of the ECHAM-HAMMOZ model (release echam6.3.0-ham2.3-moz1.0) and the related reference publications can be found here: ECHAM-HAMMOZ_description_echam6.3.0-ham2.3-moz1.0.pdf.
Model validation studies¶
Please visit the model validation page (registered members only) for a synthesis in terms of scientific performances of this model version.
Release default settings¶
- Four different main run configurations are supported:
- HAM-M7 (M7 aerosol microphysics)
- HAM-SALSA (SALSA aerosol microphysics)
- HAMMOZ (M7 or SALSA + full MOZ chemistry JAM001)
- MOZ (simplified chemistry GAM001)
- They are meant to be run at resolution T63L47GR15 (with middle atmosphere), but may also be run at several other resolutions (see Available resolutions).
Warning! Not all resolutions setups are properly tuned. So far, only resolutions T63L47GR15 and T63L31GR15 are tuned, if one use the default setups without any switch modification. The other resolutions are offered only as help for testing / development without any guaranteed scientific relevance.
- The main emission inventory used for the prescribed emissions is ACCMIP_interpolated (see more details in emissions inventories).
- The present-day reference period is set to be 2003-2012 (with the reference year being 2008).
Known bugs / upcoming features¶
Please refer to version:"echam-hammoz (echam6.3.0-ham2.3-moz1.0_p1)" (scheduled first patch after echam6.3.0-ham2.3-moz1.0) and version:"ECHAM-HAMMOZ (echam6.3.0-ham2.4-moz1.1)" (next full release).
Please read Getting started (registered members only) in order to know how to download the model, build it, and create the appropriate runscripts.
New to HAMMOZ or to this web site? You should read the Hitchhiker's guide to HAMMOZ first!